The serene Kandy Lake was built in 1807, during the reign of the last king of Sri Lanka, King Sri Vickrama Rajasinghe. The Kandy Lake we see now was initially acres of paddy fields, which nourished the Kandyan Kingdom. The king’s move to turn this into a lake was debated by many of his advisors, since the lands were of economic importance to the kingdom. Regardless, the king went ahead and appointed Deveda Moolacharya as the architect to build a magnificent lake in the heart of the city. Today, original features such as the bathing house of the harem, can still be seen near the shores of the lake, alongside the Sri Dalada Maligawa.
Named ‘Kiri Muhuda’ (sea of milk) by the king, the present-day lake is an ideal place to just relax and take in the views of the hill country. The early mornings and evenings are the best times to enjoy a lovely stroll around the scenic lake.